[Market-farming] Buckwheat re-growth?

JOHN A HENDRICKSON jhendric at wisc.edu
Tue Jul 12 07:33:29 EDT 2005

Steve,

Enjoyed your description of using the wheel hoe to get rid of the weeds
that had sprouted and harrow in the buckwheat.  Sounds like a great
method for a small area.  I'll file that away to use some time.

Regarding buckwheat's biomass production: buckwheat does grow rapidly
but it is very succulent so there's actually not a lot of dry matter
that is produced.  One of the primary soil benefits is the fact that the
roots leave the soil very loose and friable.  This in addition to the
previously discussed benefits of keeping an area green and covered,
preventing weed growth, and provide nectar for beneficial insects and bees.

All this talk about buckwheat makes me want to go out and plant some!

-John