[Market-farming] Farmer's Market question

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Jul 10 09:25:09 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 08:15:01AM -0400, Mike Hulbert - Anna Carter - Creation Soap wrote:
> The most successful farmers Markets I have seen allow all kinds of vendors
> to sell all kinds of food products whether they produce them or not in order
> to create a draw, once the crowds show up then they begin to restrict or
> "refine" the offerings to better highlight the farms in the area.

In practice, just the opposite happens: peddlers hold increasing sway
over the market; the longer they stay, the more difficult it becomes
to eject them.  Likely, a market that allows peddlers starts well by
attracting consumers with a good supply, then the consumers gradually
become aware that they are not being offer local product by local
producers, then the market declines and finally dies.  This may be a
five or ten year process.  At least, that is my experience.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!