[Market-farming] Buckwheat Questions

JOHN A HENDRICKSON jhendric at wisc.edu
Fri Jul 8 17:59:49 EDT 2005

No, Buckwheat doesn't make much of a mulch once it's cut.  Decomposes
very rapidly.      If tilling buckwheat seed in with a tiller, I'd be
careful to till shallowly.  Depending on how much you're planting, I'd
be tempted to leave the tiller in the shed and just walk along dragging
a rake behind me (assuming the soil is loose to begin with before you
broadcasted the seed).  Quieter and doesn't use fuel.  But do I recall
that you have a heavy clay soil Allan?  If so, never mind!  -John