[Market-farming] Buckwheat Questions

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Fri Jul 8 14:27:30 EDT 2005

Thanks. mk

From: Janet Bachmann <janetb at ncat.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:59:12 -0500
To: Market Farming <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buckwheat Questions

All these buckwheat questions!  I had to see what my husband's old (1967)
book Principles of Field Crop Production says.  I have also heard that
buckwheat is good at bringing up phosphorus.  A few quotes:

   Buckwheat is able to extract more nutrients from raw rock phosphate than
are other grain crop plants. (p. 739)

   The plant has a tap root with numerous short laterals, which may extend 3
to 4 feet in the soil  The root system comprises only about 3 percent of the
weight of the plant, compared with 6 to 14 percent in the cereal grains. (p.
740)

   Injurious effects of buckwheat on subsequent crops on unfertilized land
are attributed to excessive removal of mineral plant foods by the rapidly
growing, shallow-feeding buckwheat plants. (p. 744)

My guess is that these injurious effects would happen only if the buckwheat
crop were removed from the field, not if it were incorporated into the soil
or left on the surface.
JB
Fayetteville, AR

Marty Kraft wrote:
I heard that buckwheat brings minerals up from below. Is this so?

Marty Kraft
Kansas City