[Market-farming] Buckwheat re-growth?

Janet Bachmann janetb at ncat.org
Fri Jul 8 13:22:42 EDT 2005

My experience is that buckwheat does not stand up to mowing and does not
have enough biomass to be a good mulch like sorghum-Sudangrass.  But it
does grow very quickly from seed, is flowering within 30 days, and has
mature seed at about 45 days.  At that point, if you mow it or lightly
disc it in, you will get another lush green cover crop, unless it is too
late in the season and it gets killed by frost.  An organic market
gardener in Missouri told me 15 or so years ago that he got 3 buckwheat
cover crops in a summer in this way.
Janet Bachmann
NW Arkansas also (zone 6 or 7)