[Market-farming] Cheddar cauliflower

Marlin Burkholder glenecofarm at planetcomm.net
Mon Feb 28 20:55:56 EST 2005

Courtney,

Be sure and check the maturity dates on the orange, purple, and white
cauliflowers.  I started cheddar and an Italian purple variety (Sicilia
Violetto)  last year at the same time with the idea that I would have two
colors on the table at the same time.  The purple one didn't get ready until
the orange one was about finished.  Checking maturity dates I found that
Ceheddar (58 days) and Graffiti and Sicilia Violetto (80 days) are nearly a
month apart.  I will take that into consideration this year when I plant the
seed.  By the way, while I'm thinking about it, has anyone tried Sicilia
Violetta and been happy with it?  It disappointed me a little last year and
I resisted the urge to order Graffiti because I hated to throw the other
seed away.  Description wise S Violetto appears to be similar to Johnney's
Violet Queen though Violet Qween appears to be early enough at 54 days to
coincide nicely with Cheddar.   S Violetto strings out the harvest from 65
to 80 days which was probably the reason I chose it, not to mention that I
was also swayed by the $2.50 for a large packet that you get from Bill
McKay's source.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia

Thanks for the info on the Cheddar cauliflower!  I am very excited to try it
this year from what you guys wrote!  I am also growing Graffiti and the
regular white.  So I think that my table will look real pretty with purple,
orange and white cauliflower.  Along with all the other pretty colors I will
have, I hope!  Providing that Mom Nature plays along with me!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh