[Market-farming] path cover/green manure

SaladG at aol.com SaladG at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 22:43:08 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/27/05 2:01:45 PM Central Standard Time, kampy at grm.net
writes:

> I would welcome any
> discussion on what would be best to use for the paths.  TIA

Marie we have been using rye grass for a number of years for our drive ways
inbetween our beds.  Gives us great wind protection in the early spring to
protect our new seedling that we transplant.  Keep the ground from washing as
well, with the 5 and 6 inch rains like last year I know it helped save a lot of
dirt on our side hills, it stayed solid enough to run our gator and 4 wheelers
up and down our drive ways without having to deal with getting stuck quite as
many times.  After the rye gets really tall I just mow it with our rotary mower
and it makes good mulch to help hold down the weeds.  The least amout of
tillage reduces erosion greatly so the greatest amount of mulch I can created the
better off I am .  We seed down all of our beds every fall regardless how late
it gets, the seed may not get started in the fall but it will grow in the
spring when it warms up giving great cover.

Phil