[Market-farming] row covers alternatives

mtlivestock crublee at libby.org
Thu Feb 24 10:31:58 EST 2005

I am seeking cheap ideas!!!

I would like to hear about alternatives to row covers.  What are small
farmers using instead of the conventional row covers?  I experimented with
some nylon curtains last year and found them very helpful.  Would like to
see more ideas as I want to use row covers on my strawberries, early greens,
and summer (hot season) greens for added warmth now and added shade later.

I am one of those folks that likes to spend the least in production to keep
my final price down.  It is a must in my area.  But I understand that
production sometimes requires an expensive purchase for long-term
investment.  I would like to hear when folks feel commercial row covers
became a necessity.  At what production level?  Or are commercial row covers
so much better than homemade stuff that I should consider them now?