[Market-farming] the best bed shaper

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Wed Feb 23 18:22:26 EST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:55:07PM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Willie,
>
> You were right about me being a row croper.  Everything is setup for a row
> spacing of 36".  My beds are half the width of yours.  This works well
> because I use sweeps to cultivate the furrows which are about the same width
> as my rear tires.  The bed is the same.

How about some photos of your cultivating and planting equipment?

> I'm curious though, why do you have such wide beds?  Is there some advantage
> to it?

I explained that in another post.  At least I attempted to explain.
Basically, that's just what I've always done.  And I started that width
to accommodate tomatoes.  I generally grow two lines of things like
beans, peas, broccoli per bed.  On spinach, I try to put down four
lines, but they rarely get well spaced.  I use two PlanetJrs 9" apart
on a tool bar.

OH!  That Dale Philips disk is now mostly used to disk between
blackberry rows.  I bought it mainly to smooth up root plowed ground; I
think my "clean up new ground" days are about over.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Linux system uptime  241 days  6 hours 18 minutes