[Market-farming] the best bed shaper

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Wed Feb 23 15:05:39 EST 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:02:19PM -0500, Willfindley at aol.com wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Willie. That's a cool bed shaper. Questions: How far are your
> tires spread out?  And what's your tractor's horsepower?

All my beds and tractors are 60".  That's too wide for maximum
production per unit area.  I have two justifications for going that
wide: wider tractors are safer and I need that width for tomatoes, so,
I just do everything the same width.  MANY years ago, I was laying 48"
plastic that also needed that width.

Mitsubushi R2500 pictured connected to bedding/pre-bedding disk is
about 25hp, IH274 (not pictured in the posted URL, but you can find it
at http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/images) is about 30hp, IH B210 is
about 30-35hp, JD3010 (in front of drag-bar disk) is 50-60hp.  I have
done most of my vegetable work with the Mitsubushi and more recently
with the IH274.  The Mitsubushi has an electric sprayer on the front
that I use extensively for both insecticide and herbicide.  I do
everything one row at a time.  Well, almost everything; I have a three
row trailer PTO sprayer that I use exclusively for herbicide.  OH! I
have the world's ugliest Kuboto (L210 or something like that) that has
turf tires and a PTO finish mower, 20-25hp.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Linux system uptime  241 days  2 hours 52 minutes