[Market-farming] the best bed shaper

JOHN A HENDRICKSON jhendric at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 22 20:53:33 EST 2005

Allan, can you be more specific on how things have gotten better?  In my
defense, I should note that I am yet at a very small scale and have a
decent silt loam soil.  I guess part of my question is: should I stick
with raised beds as I increase in scale and get a bed shaper or do what
many growers do and just grow in beds that are not really "raised" in
the same way as beds made by hand or with a bed-shaper are.  Bob
provided two factors on which to base this decision: available cash and
disease pressure.  Anyone else want to chime in?  Is weed cultivation
easier on raised beds made with a bed shaper?  How much easier or
improved is direct seeding or transplanting?  I should perhaps note that
I do not (at present) plan to use plastic mulch on my farm.  -John