[Market-farming] asparagus from seed

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Tue Feb 22 20:03:15 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 04:45:30PM -0600, Errol Castens wrote:
> Can anybody give me details ??soil preparation, season/temperature, fertilization, depth/spacing, etc. ??for planting asparagus from seed? How long before I should expect a harvest?

When I established my asparagus 10-15 years ago, I treated it just like
tomatoes.  I grew transplants in 2" peat pots.  Seed was VERY slow
germinating.  Weeks.  I planted it about 2' apart in 5' rows.  I
couldn't resist picking some that Fall.  Been picking it ever since.  I
think you're supposed to rogue out the females; I haven't.  I put mine
on raised beds.  Actually, I raised the beds as they grew.  Were I to
do it again, I think I would keep them flat and try disking the whole
mess in late Winter or early Spring.  Weed control, even without an
aversion to herbicide, is a terrible problem.  I try to mow and burn
mine every Winter.  Fertilizer encourages the weeds, I haven't used any
in years.  Though I did in the early years.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Linux system uptime  240 days  8 hours 03 minutes