[Market-farming] asparagus from seed

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Tue Feb 22 19:44:11 EST 2005

from www.felcropruner.com

Asparagus (240 seeds average per 1/4 ounce) Soak
seed for 48 hours before sowing in 85°F/29°C
water or in a wet paper towel. Direct seed into
beds or the field, about May 20th. Sow seed 2
in./4 cm deep, in the bottom of a 4 in./l 0 cm
open furrow. Space rows 18 in./46 cm apart, on
well drained sandy land. Seed at 1 seed per inch.
Do not harvest spears the first year, it weakens
the plant unless you do not wish to establish it
as a perennial. A straw mulch protects roots from
winter