[Market-farming] Summer production of cool season vegetables

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Tue Feb 22 08:36:48 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:56:01 -0600, you wrote:

>Dear Growers, etc.
>
>I am interested in examples of people using high tunnels, row covers,
>shade cloth, misters, sprinkler irrigation, or other tricks to cool
>things down enough to produce lettuce, spinach and other cool season
>leafy green vegetables in the heat of the summer.

This is on a microscopic scale, mind you, but I grow lettuce
and mesclun mix in a container on wheels and pull it into a
shaded area on hot sunny summer days.

I am able to have fresh lettuce and mesclun throughout the
entire summer in this manner (but I live in northern
Pennsylvania in the mountains, I don't know if it would work
in Texas or similar places).

This could be adapted to a larger scale.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.