[Market-farming] bed shapers

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Mon Feb 21 13:21:25 EST 2005

In order to used the hand-pushed seeders I recently acquired, I have
been out with a 5 gallon plastic bucket flattening out freshly thrown
up bed tops.  I think a leveled slightly compacted bed top would make
tractor pulled PlanetJrs go more smoothly, too.

I've been mulling over the possibility of getting a roller made that
dangles off of 3-point lift arms.  I'm thinking 8"-12" pipe about 27"
long.  I would rather have a roller made from two cones (smaller
diameter in the middle) to give me a crowned bed, but I think that
that is more than I want to attack at this time.

Does anyone have ideas?  Has anyone seen anything like that "off the
shelf"?

I had a bed shaper that laid plastic mulch and irrigation tape as
well as pressing the bed, but that was a massive thing that needed
50+ hp.  I'm thinking of something easier to handle.

On the subject of bedding: I have used a disk bedder for many years; I
like to cultivate with it too.  It rolls over and cuts up stuff that is
too far gone for traditional cultivators.  But it needs tedious
adjustment to go between the bed building and cultivating
configurations.  I recently came across another disk bedder and I jumped
on it (bought it); I am leaving the new bedder set up to cultivate.  I
just pulled it over my badly overgrown asparagus.  With the bedder, I
can cut up the stuff in the middles so that I stand a chance of getting
sweeps down the rows.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Linux system uptime  239 days  1 hours 04 minutes