[Market-farming] Effective microorganisms, wheelbarrows for women

Adriana gutierrez-lagatta at charter.net
Sun Feb 20 21:44:17 EST 2005

Karen,

I have an assortment of formulas which I obtained from Gil Carangang of the
Phillipines.  The primary formula used "rice wash water" which is the water
which is left after rinsing rice BEFORE you cook it in an oriental style
rice cooker.  To quote Gil it is the "solution left when you wash the rice
with water".    After a 5-7 day fermentation at 70°F you add milk.  My
understanding is that this allows the lactobacillus to crowd out the less
desirable microorganisms.    The resulting solution is then innoculated with
molassses to further activate it.  He also has recipes for "Forest
beneficial Microorganisms".  For more information  contact Gil at
gil_carandang at hotmail.com  There is a nominal $15 charge for his
information.  I am just now starting my first batch ( I had to abandon my
first batch mid-wqay due to a crisis).

> Have any of you produced your own local EM?  If so, was your procedure
> the same?
>
> I am confused about the part where you "rinse the rice and mix in a
> solution".  Seems to me like the rinse water would contain the EM's.

Re: Wheelbarrows for women

Do any of the women on this list find conventional wheelbarrows comfortable
to use?  I don't.

At 5'5" I would consider myself "average" but I find that they are wobbly
and difficult to control. The ergonomics just don't seem to work for me.  My
husband thinks they are just great.  Is there a better alternative more
suited to our frames?

Adriana