[Market-farming] Harvest Times for Apache and Arapaho Blackberries

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Feb 20 17:03:53 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 03:15:47PM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> I'm having a little trouble figuring out the harvest periods for Apache and
> Arapaho blackberries here is west Texas.  The best info I've run across says
> Arapaho begins to ripen the beginning of July and Apache begins to ripen the
> beginning of June.  I can't find any information on how long the harvest
> period runs for either variety.  I'm guessing it's about two and a half
> weeks, but that's just a guess.  Willie, how about your berries, when do
> your harvest periods start and how long do they last?  Anyone else have
> these varieties?

Blackberry production vs time is very much a bell shaped curve.  Last
year, we sold our first berry 5/5 and our last 7/22.  Significant
production went from about 5/12 to about 7/6.  You are probably a week
behind us, maybe two.  I don't recall our last freeze last year, but it
is generally about 3/1.

We start with Brazos.  Rosoborough 3-4 days later.  About two weeks
later, Kiowa followed quickly by Chickasaw.  Brazos and Rosoborough
overlap Kiowa and Chickasaw by a week or more.  Arapaho is later, I
would guess maybe starting mid-June.  We have few enough Arapaho that
they are not very noticeable.  I don't think we have any Apache.

2-3 weeks of good production for each variety is about right.  Shawnee
is better spread out, maybe as much as 6 weeks.  Shawnee used to be my
principal variety, but I now have only a few.

Right now, Brazos and Rosoborough are starting to leaf out; Kiowa and
Chickasaw have swelling buds.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Linux system uptime  238 days  4 hours 46 minutes