[Market-farming] RE: Garlic question-planting times/harvest times

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Feb 20 16:30:08 EST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 2:30 PM, mmaysen wrote:

> If I wait until fall to plant, I won't have any good garlic to eat for
> another 15 months.. yikes!

If you can find something worth planting, I'd go ahead and plant a
small amount as early in the spring as you can stick it in the ground.
You won't get much crop, but you should get something. It'll be little
bulbs. Try some of the better garden seed catalogues, maybe some of
them have something to spring ship. Planting store garlic risks disease
problems, plus which it may not sprout.

> Don't think I can stand this store garlic
> that long, it's only been a couple of months since I 'ran out' and our
> meals are suffering.

Find a farmers' market; and/or ask around for local garlic growers.
It's possible nobody's got any of last year's crop left in good shape
by now, but it's worth a try. I often have some decent garlic left for
my own use this late, though I'm generally sold out well before this;
but around here the harvest season was so wet even the stuff in the
braids is giving out early. But at least you should be able to get good
garlic by July, even if your own spring plant doesn't amount to much.