[Market-farming] Effective Micro-organisms

Karen Sutherland ksutherland at hampshire.edu
Sun Feb 20 12:37:04 EST 2005

Al-Mario Casimir & Ian Alexander prepared a pamphlet for the Organic
Desk of the Division of Agriculture here in Dominica  explaining how to
produce your own EM using local organisms.  I have not tried this yet.
Quoting from their pamphlet:

" Bacteria Traps:

Materials:

1 plastic container
4 oz cooked rice
piece of nylon net
string

Procedure:

Place the cooked rice in the container
Cover container with the nylon net and secure with string
Bury the container placing fresh manure or semi-decomposed organic
matter on top of the net

Harvesting Bacteria (EM)

After 2 weeks unbury the container and remove the rice (the rice is
filled with EM)
Rinse the rice and mix in a solution that contains 1 liter of molasses
and 3 liters of pure boiled water.  (Stock Solution)

Application:

200 ml of stock solution and 200 ml of molasses in 20 liters of pure
water for every m2 of compost, bokashi, etc."

Have any of you produced your own local EM?  If so, was your procedure
the same?

I am confused about the part where you "rinse the rice and mix in a
solution".  Seems to me like the rinse water would contain the EM's.

For those of you who have tried EM's (either commercial or a local mix),
how would you evaluate their effectiveness against the extra time,
effort and costs?

Thank you all.

Karen Sutherland

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm at marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm at marpin.dm>