[Market-farming] Blackberry Storage

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Feb 20 10:42:37 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 09:06:53AM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Yep, I have Apache and Arapaho?  Sounds like a juicer or freeze dehydrator
> might be a good investment.  Do you juice or dehydrate?  If you do, any
> suggestions as to which ones to buy?  Saw a steam juicer on the web.  Any
> thoughts about those?

The Apaches and/or Arapahos MIGHT make it from one market to the next.
Report.

I don't have time in the berry season to do much processing on them.  I
did get a processor to make me some jelly; I THINK they used a steam
juicer.  I froze my berries whole until I could get them to the
processor.  I rented freezer space; if you could get them juiced, a
home freezer might be practical.  BUT, you would probably need a
commercial kitchen to legally use the juicer.  I should say, sell
the product that went through the juicer.

I have a (small) Excalibur dehydrator that I've used on figs,
tomatoes, onions, peppers, broccoli, basil.  Haven't tried
blackberries, though.  Neighbors have made blackberry fruit leather in
a dehydrator; it is of little value, IMHO.  In my estimations, a "home"
dehydrator will take a day to do only 2-3 gallons of berries.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!