[Market-farming] Blackberry Storage

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Feb 20 08:49:13 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 06:29:37AM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> I put in 200 blackberry plants this year and should have a small harvest
> this year.  For now, they'll only be sold at the Farmers' Market.  Since the
> berries need to be picked almost everyday and the market is only twice a
> week, I need to know how to store them between market days?  Any experienced
> berry people in this group?

Shelf life is a function of variety.  My target is to get the berries
sold and delivered the day after picking.  Navajos are more durable
than others I have seen; they might last two weeks.  Common thorny
varieties have a maximum shelf life of a week.  You have Apache and
Arapaho?  You might find those between a week and two weeks, though
they might look pretty funky after 2-3 days.  Refrigeration is a must
even for holding overnight.

I haven't found that "pick your own" does much to take up my berry
slack.  All the pick-your-owners want to pick Saturday while my slack
demand is early and mid week.  Grocery stores tend to order more
heavily for Thursday and Friday delivery for week-end sale.

Last year, I built a couple of insulated boxes for hauling cold stuff,
including berries, in trucks.  2" thick walls, holding about 4 bu,
around 12-15 dozen pints.  Before the boxes, any berries that came back
from a farmers market were of no value.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!