[Market-farming] unwanted critters

Wendy & Randy Gray hoemangray at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 19 00:46:34 EST 2005

Tom - we have the same problem! We used to feed the cat right by the door
and the skunks would eventually come around.  We don't have racoons that often, so
haven't really worried about them.
My husband put a platform just big enough for the cat's bowls and the cat
about 4' up in the kids bike shed (which is completely open on one side),
then on the side of the shed he put a very small piece of wood, just big enough for the cat to jump onto and
then up to the shelf.  So, skunks can't get to it - racoons probably are
too big for it. We keep the cat's food in a 5 gal. bucket with a lid
and haven't had much problem with this set up.   I did, however find a big
basket and have filled it with fleece/wool scraps and put it on my desk
in my barn/workshop, so that's where the cat sleeps.

But we also have a 9-mth red heeler puppy now too, so that is probably
helping with the small and large (i.e deer) critters!
Good Luck!
Wendy