[Market-farming] unwanted critters; also roads

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Fri Feb 18 19:09:43 EST 2005

On Feb 18, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Tom at Limerock wrote:

> Did not think about the dog.  Not sure about the idea, we are on a
> very busy state road.  Lost one 'inside' dog to it already, as well as
> two young cats.

Fast-traffic roads are a huge hazard: to dogs, cats, escaped livestock,
and even farmers, especially farmers trying to get across them on
tractors. Those looking for a farm: bear this factor in mind.

On the other hand, they can be better for direct-marketing, if there's
a safe pull in for a farm stand.

>  why would racoons kill cats?  I know the cats do not like them, last
> night when I went in the shed, all the cats were 'up on something' and
> then I saw the racoon.

I haven't asked the raccoons, but I think there are at least two
reasons: one, they want to take over this nice territory that comes
with food and shelter, and have it all to themselves, without
competition for the food etc. Two, I think they'll eat the cats.

Your cats were "up on something" for a reason; smart cats. I have seen
barn cats keep eating right next to a possum, though; and I've heard of
them eating next to a skunk.