[Market-farming] strawberries

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Fri Feb 18 16:05:31 EST 2005

Nancy,

We grow day neutral strawberries and leave
them in the ground (on plastic red IRT mulch)
for at least 3 years. We have one bed that is
on its' third year and another that is on
its' second. We would have a new bed planted
but we thought we were leaving this farm this
winter and decided last fall there was no
need to put in another bed.

We have had success planting either in fall
or early spring with both the June bearing
and the day neutral/everbearing types.

The instructions on the day neutral berries
said they won't overwinter well but since we
have ours in a hoophouse we have no problems.
this year our 2 year old bed has had zero
protection (other than a heavy snow cover
during the coldest part of the winter) and
are many weeks from breaking dormancy so at
this point i don't know if they will make it.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH