[Market-farming] strawberry flavor

James H. Corey 1corey at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 14 12:19:23 EST 2005

I grow 9000 strawberry plants organically every year, and I can tell you
that the one's in the supermarket are picked long before they are ripe, and
unlike a tomato or a banana, a strawberry will not ripen much once it is
picked.  Sure it may be red, but as far as being ripe, they are often far
from it.  I encourage my u-pickers to look for a strawberry that is red all
the way to the top, and the seeds are "popping" out a bit - then it is
ripe.  The variety does have something to do with it as well, some
varieties just don't taste that good.  I have had trial sections of several
varieties in the past, and have decided on just one that I, and my
customers prefer.

Pam
Rose Hill Plantation