[Market-farming] Self Cleaning Irrigation Water Filters

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Mon Feb 14 10:24:15 EST 2005

re: Sand Filter

The one set of sand filters is SUPPOSED to clean the silt and,
admittedly, it did at one point. Back flusing s.b. enough for
cleaning the filter, but seems to not get us to the point that really
clean water is coming out. I understand that this sort of let down
can be cured by changing the ration of gravel to sand and what not. I
admit that I'm too lazy and too cheap to dig the sand and gravel back
out and start over. I just want you to know that a two chamber sand
filter is SUPPOSED to do the job. IT just isn't here.

Check out a disk filters requirements. You'll be backflushing that
thing all the time and sometimes that just isn't that much fun.

On the spin filters: they will tell you that you can leave them
partially open and they will perpetually clean themselves as you
irrigate: ours could never keep up and eventually we were clogged
again.

If you are in the RAIN FLO area (Lancaster PA/East Coast US), talk to
John. He has a good working knowledge of this stuff.