[Market-farming] strawberry flavor

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Feb 13 23:10:43 EST 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 10:10 AM, Tradingpost wrote:

> I don't know strawberriy growing, and I'm wondering what they've done
> make supermarket strawberries so tasteless. Is it the bred varieties
> or the
> harvesting, fertilizer, or what?

I think it's mostly the varieties. There are some varieties bred for
large size and very firm berries to stand up to shipping; they're not
bred for flavor. They've often been picked unripe, too.

Once when I was handing out taste samples at market I had a woman get
upset. She got strawberry juice on her shirt when she bit into the
berry and said to me, in a tone of great indignation, "These
strawberries are *juicy*!" I was baffled and said something like, "well
yes they're juicy, they're strawberries." (Not great marketing
technique, I know.) Some time later I bought a pint at the supermarket
out of sheer curiosity and then I understood. Not only were they
tasteless, they weren't juicy at all; they were crisp and hard, like an
unripe apple. She must have been eating those, and thought that they
were normal.

I did once trial a variety, a year or two after that, that had a
similar texture and (lack of) flavor, though not quite as bad. I tilled
them back in; I wouldn't take them to market. Since then I approach
with great caution any strawberry variety described as "extra firm" or
"good shipper".