[Market-farming] strawberry planting

Graeme Gerrard ggerrard at resonant.com.au
Sun Feb 13 15:02:56 EST 2005

I'd have to concur with this.  Here in Australia certified biodynamic
and organic strawberry farms are not permitted to use plastic. All
mulches must be of "natural" material.  This makes weeds management an
incredible amount of work - especially grasses.  We have kikuyu - a
stolon spread grass (but it also sets seed) and that is a major issue
because in Summer it spreads so fast!

We till each week several times using a chisel plow.  This kills quite
a lot of the grass and weakens it.  We pick out the apparently dead
roots by hand as much as we can. Then grow a cover crop, as suggested.
We mix as many different things as we can - maybe 8 or 10 different
things chosen for the season.  Cut and till it before it seeds and
depending on the season we will do another cycle - usually with
different seed.
We usually plant our runners in late autumn so there is some growth
before the plants go dormant in winter. (It doesn't freeze here -
though we get light frosts).
We use hay that we cut from our farm as a mulch.  This needs to be
renewed during the growing season.
Graeme