[Market-farming] Re: Community gardens and sidewalk bistros

CAVM at aol.com CAVM at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 13:16:26 EST 2005

A local coffee shop (Heine Bros) and the Hispanic Women's Group in
Louisville, KY have agreed to work together with us in developing  neighborhood gardens
and locally produced meals.  We are working out an  arrangement with the city
of Louisville to obtain the right to use many of the  vacant lots scattered
around the city's older neighborhoods.

We will remediate the lots and provide a healthy growing environment for  the
Hispanic Women's Group and other interested parties to grow vegetables,
herbs, flowers, or just have a small park.  One of our crew is a commercial
kitchen inspector and will try to bring the old cafeteria kitchen in a former
Catholic school up to standards for value added processing of some of the  produce.

We envision several commercial kitchens eventually and all producing  locally
demanded meals and menu items.  The emphasis will be ethic meal  items since
the area is so cosmopolitan and this seems to offer the best profit
potential.  We expect to have to supplement the city production of  vegetables with
items from the farms in the state.

I am warmed by the description Steve Diver gave of the Portland area.   I
have enjoyed my visits there and would very much like to see their community
attitude brought to Louisville.

While our role will be as facilitator and composter, we have a strong
attachment to this project.  We are gratified that a local business has  agreed to
be the core of it.  What this will be is a sort of movable  farmers' market,
CSA, neighborhood uplift program. We expect the plantings to  begin this Spring.

Any suggestions and comments would be welcome.

Regards,

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc
GO, Inc dba Growing Opportunties