[Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Sat Feb 12 16:31:04 EST 2005

> Heirlooms definitely have the best flavor and I will still grow my favorite
> heirlooms (and try some new ones!) again this year even though I have
> trouble with cracking.  But, I will also grow the standard hybrid beef and
> early girl types as well to satisfy those customers that want pretty
> tomatoes.  I'm hoping that black plastic mulch with drip irrigation will
> help a bit with the cracking.  Some cooperation from mother nature wouldn't
> hurt, either!
> Vivian

W have been growing heirlooms for the 10
years we have been growing for market. In the
beginning we grew no hybrids and our tomato
sales suffered for it. We now grow 2 or 3
hybrid red tomatoes and some hybrid cherry
tomatoes (can't beat sunsugar) because the
big red orbs draw people in and tna we can
often get people to try a heirloom either by
talking them up or giving out samples (either
a slice of tomato or a whole 'mater).

At our stand each variety has a card with the
name of that tomato and a sentence or two
about it's history or taste (some of these
heirlooms have a boring history but great
taste!). we try to feature a different
heirloom each week and the featured heirloom
gets a whole 8 1/2 "x 11" sheet of paper for
a description. And we hand out recipes
(really simple ones).

Vivian, Plastic mulch will make little
difference in cracking. IIRC, cracking is
caused by a fruit that has gotten to the
point its' skin will not grow any more. It
rains or the plants get heavy irrigation and
the inside of the fruit takes up water,
expands and splits the skin. that is why I
recomend picking the fruits a bit early if it
is going to rain. For I find my customers do
not want split fruit and if it is split than
either I make tomato juice or the chickens
get the 'maters

Lucy Goodman