[Market-farming] Regarding rural gardening and heirloom tomatoes.

Joe Kames farfish at francomm.com
Fri Feb 11 22:34:30 EST 2005

There are many gardeners in this rural area of the Hudson Valley. The 4-H kids grow some amazing vegetables and flowers.

We do very well selling heirloom tomato seedlings in the late spring. The local nurseries only carry the standard hybrid seedlings and many of the gardeners are very happy to have the heirlooms availible from our greenhouse.

I concur with the earlier observation; picking heirlooms in a pink wrap stage often gets around the cracking and the flavor is still good.

                          Joe
                         Freehold NY