[Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

Tradingpost tradingpost at gilanet.com
Fri Feb 11 17:46:48 EST 2005

As usual, I agree with Pat. May I add, you can't save seed from those
hybrids so if you're saving seed from your heirlooms your seed cost goes to
zero. The price is hard to beat ;-)  And traditionally you save the seed of
the best plants so you're continually refining and adapting your varietes
for your own locale.  There's a hidden cost in some hybrids we don't always
notice. Some of them need more and more fertilizer to produce as promised,
and/or more water, and may need more pesticides. The seed companies aren't
about to spill the beans on that - pun intended - how many 3rd world
farmers have been bankrupted in recent years by the so-called Green
Revolution.

paul tradingpost at gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net