[Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

Tom at Limerock limerock at thirdplanet.net
Fri Feb 11 10:38:51 EST 2005

>From my experience, there might be a small increase in costs.  It seems to
me that the seeds are not quite as cheap as hybrids.  I usually do get more
cracks, splits and cat facing from heirlooms, but a good part of  that is
just me and no formal irrigation.   The knowledgeable folks do not hesitate
buying toms with 'minor' imperfections.  The others folks, I just tell them
to cut that part out.  The toms are not for a photo shoot, they are going to
get cut up anyway.   Any extra loss in marketable toms can sometimes be made
up in placing a premium price on the heirlooms (something I have trouble
doing but feel I must in the future).

Tom
Limerock Orchards

I have heard heirlooms can be more expensive to grow because many heirlooms
(not all)  produce smaller fruit plus cracking/disease is more prevalent in
some heirlooms varieties.  I planned to grow more this year just in case
this is true as I don't normally grow heirlooms.  Would anyone care to
advise on this?  I would like to know if this is true.

Pat listed an excellent site for information on heirlooms.  Try this
catalog.  I have not ordered from them, but I will this month.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/