[Market-farming] FM's in rural areas

OakCamp2 at aol.com OakCamp2 at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 09:42:50 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/10/2005 6:01:46 PM Central Standard Time,
marketfarmers at thymeforewe.com writes:
That's a very broad statement that isn't true for everyone.  What might not
work for you is working nicely for me.
Okay, you are right, it is a broad statement.  When you are looking for a
market of people who need your product, however, most businesses tend to situate
themselves where they can reach the biggest percentage. Location, location,
location.  Also, it's an evaluation of the success of your product in a given
area.  For example, I've found that FM's located near retirement areas do not
work for my product (herbs), but FM's located in downtown areas of large
metropolitan areas do.

 So, if it's likely that many rural areas have homes with enough yard space
to have a garden of some sort, then you must consider the possibility that the
people who shop at your stand will be looking for the cheapest garden produce
that they can find.  Why?  Because they are familiar with the pricing of
seeds, they are familiar with potential yield, and they are familiar with giving a
lot of their own yield away.  So, the inherent value of your produce is
diminished. I'm sure many of us have heard customers say things like "Oh, that's too
much to pay for a tomato, I could grow them myself."  It is like trying to
sell retail to a wholesale crowd.  Many times vendors in this situation end up
lowering their prices just to get rid of the items they brought to market.
Hopefully they stay in the black with the bottom line.

Of course there are probably many rural areas that have subdivisions of
commuters in them that flock to a local FM for fresh food.  Then you have a market
of people who need your product, are willing to pay the prices you need to
stay in business, and appreciate that you are providing them with fresh, top
quality produce.

Barb