[Market-farming] strawberry planting

mtlivestock crublee at libby.org
Thu Feb 10 07:42:08 EST 2005

Didn't have time or $$$ to get a section of our pasture fenced and ready for
strawberries.  Could I do it this spring?  If so, what would you recommend
for killing off grass/weeds. I have not used any herbicides on this pasture
since 1995.  I would like to use a product okayed by organic methods, but I
don't have a big budget.   How should it be tilled? etc.  I won't use
plastic.  I plan to till between the berries and use straw around the
berries.

This is a pasture we maintain well, but we let the cows eat this section
down to very short grass last fall for ease of tilling.  Oh, will the small
amount of urine/poop in that area be a problem?

I doubt we could plant earlier than mid-May.  I plan to plant 500 now and
500 next spring 2006.  (We will do the "fall prep" for the 2006 batch.  <BG>
I hope!

Thanks!
Christina