[Market-farming] Wild business scenarios

Mr Lucky steve at mrlucky.com
Wed Feb 9 23:00:32 EST 2005

From: "Steven Rogers" <singingpigfarm at earthlink.net>

> The scenario of several days ago of a farmer selling $500 at a farmer's
> market with costs of $400
> and Pat's scenario of selling tomatoes at break evenprice at a farm stand
> are pretty wild and
> are in no way representative of reality. After  15 profitable years as a
> market farmer I know what it
> costs to produce vegetables.

Oy! Again, I was using it as an extreme example of why it was irrelevant to
share gross sales. It wasn't a real life scenario. Most of the farmers I
sell with have no idea what their profit is. Some brag about how much they
did in a day. Often the sames ones are renting two stalls and driving a huge
truck getting 13 miles per gallon and come from hours away. If I live where
the market is, get great mileage and sell in one stall, comparing our gross
sales is meaningless. That's my point.

Please share gross sales if you like.