[Market-farming] veggie crates and coolers

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Mon Feb 7 07:30:41 EST 2005

Try http://www.buckhorninc.com they are a
plastic company that makes a lot of different
types of crates for a lot of different kinds
of applications including crates that hold
produce. I bought 50 gray stacking and
nesting crates about 4 years ago from them
for something like $7.50 each. I love them,
they are easy to clean (a wooden bushel
basket cannot really be well cleaned), they
stack in the fridge and nest together for
storage. They do not have lids (but Buckhorn
does make a couple of lidded crates). Mine
are at least 4 years old and I expect to get
at least another 10 years out of them. A guy
that sells next to me at a farmers market has
some of these lugs that are at least 20 years
old and they are in fine shape.

As for things staying crisper in a lidded
crate. Yes they do unless you put a towel
over top of the lidless crate or put things
into plastic bags and than into the lidless
crates. For leafy greens what I do is after
washing I line the crate with a towel and put
the greens in that fold the towel over top of
the greens so they are swaddled in toweling.
this keeps things crispy for about 5 days in
the fridge. for berries i pick into pulp
tills than cover the tills with plastic wrap
than they go into lugs

Lucy Goodman