[Market-farming] More business

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Feb 6 07:38:04 EST 2005

I'm VERY pleased to hear a small farming success story!

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:29:44PM -0800, Steven Rogers wrote:
> I paid my attorney and CPA to do the incorporation. The lease agreement between myself and the corporation was drawn up by my attorney.

There is clearly some size/profitability threshold that must be crossed
before such effort and expense is justified; I wonder what it is?  I
wonder what the initial and ongoing costs are for incorporation?

> Someone asked about labor. Other than my driver, I use work crews from an agricultural labor contractor. I ususally bring in a crew
> of 10 plus a foreman. The contractor pays workers comp,. unemployment, handles payroll, verifies immigraton status, supplies portapotties,
>  drinking water, hand washing stations. I only have to deal with the foreman, and I only have to write one check to the contractor. I
> have no payroll expense etc. I only bring them in on an as-needed basis.

You are EXTREMELY fortunate to have such an available source of labor!
90% of my farming negatives come from the labor problem.
Here is but the most recent example:
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/images/images23

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!