[Market-farming] Market-Credit, debit, ATM, food stamps use

Patrick Mulkey Mulkey at tunl.duke.edu
Thu Feb 3 10:48:38 EST 2005

Our market is looking into the use of credit cards, debit cards,and food stamp cards. It has been suggested that the market buy the needed equipment or it would be left up to the vendor. As I understand a few vendors already take credit cards. 99% of my sales are cash with maybe 1% checks.

What has been your experience with various payment types? Do you lose sales because folks don't wait for you dealing with other customers who are using something other than cash? I suggested an ATM in the city hall that is next to us because I hear customers say they had to go be the ATM on the way to the market. Do any markets have ATM close by for customers to use?

Thank you,
Patrick Mulkey
Chapel Hill, NC