[Market-farming] cost of sales

Steven Rogers singingpigfarm at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 12:26:43 EST 2005

Steve Sando said it might cost $400 to make $500 in sales at the farmer's market. How can it possibly cost that much? That is only a 20% gross profit margin. My gross profit margins stay in the 65% range and I sell wholesale so my prices are well below what I see at farmer's markets. Seed is cheap, it runs me about 2.5% of my gross sales. Also, I don't get discouraged or resentful when I talk to fellow farmers who are doing better than I am. It encourages and inspires me because it lets me know how much upside potential is available. That's jsut me, I try to put a positive spin on things.

Steven Rogers
singingpigfarm at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.