[Market-farming] Fingerling potatoes

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Tue Feb 1 08:18:39 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:35:16PM -0500, Craig Gilbert wrote:
> I understand seed potato is tested for disease (not sure which but: fungus,
> blight, others). Once these get in your soil, you can forget good crops of
> potatoes. One vendor at our market suggested I not buy her blue potato for
> seed or fingerlings as she had had problems with poor crops. I would
> hesitate planting culls that perhaps are not healthy.

Thanks for the comments!

These are retail packaged potatoes that the grocery store thought were
too old to sell; they look good to me.  I will give them up to a month
to start sprouting before I put them in the ground.

I use only about two acres each year for potatoes and am able to
maintain about a 5 year rotation.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!