[Market-farming] Market Legal Problems --

Leigh Hauter lh at pressroom.com
Sat Oct 30 10:33:34 EDT 2004

I'm sure, unless proscribed from doing so by a higher authority -
state, federal government, the county can require any sort of permit
it wants.

  If you don't like your counties rules, change them.

The first place to start is to lobby your supervisors (or whatever
they are called out there). You have your farmers and customers as a
political base. Make appointments to see the different supervisors.
Have a letter or e-mail writing campaign.  Propose a county law
exempting farmers' markets from all permits (or whatever). Have the
supervisors speak to the bureaucrats and tell them to get off your
back.

The entire permitting deal might also be just an over enthusiastic
bureaucrat trying to regulate the riff-raff.

And if then, if lobbying doesn't work, run your own candidate and go
after the supervisor you deem to be the most vulnerable and the most
opposed to your position. Even if you don't win the election, you
will probably win on the permitting deal.

(either that or do what walmart does when it plans to move into an
area, bribe the appropriate politicians through campaign
contributions - effectively laundered -  and/or situate the big box
in such a place that enough of the local powers that be are going to
profit from it).

If you want to see a real nightmare for market licensing and permits
try Washington DC.  When I worked for a group a a decade ago that
tried to set up markets in poor neighborhoods it became apparent real
quick that there was no law that applied, but that also meant that
there was no law giving you permission either.  You could go from one
agency to another and it was truly like Kafka's Trial.  I understand
today, with more pressure for market's it hasn't improved much either.

Another example in Northern Virginia where the various counties
wanted, until real recently, to get rid of roadside markets.  They
demanded a permit from resellers. A permit that the county would not
be issued.  And they would swoop down on markets with the police
looking for non-producer grown items so they could fine the market
and shut them down.

Business permits, sure, but "special events" permits to assemble on
private land, I don't think so.