[Market-farming] Jicima

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Mon Oct 25 08:05:46 EDT 2004

>Someone who tried growing jicama here once told me that it takes a long
>growing season and will only get half the size it will as ones you see in
>the store.
>
>I've always wanted to try it -- I got as far as starting it in the
>greenhouse -- but never got around to actually transplanting it out.
>
>If you try it, I'd say to start it as a transplant, and put it out as early
>as possible and use IRT mulch and reemay.

Or you could try growing it in a large container that you
could bring inside in the autumn (this is assuming you have
room inside for a large container).  Since it's a vine, it
would probably need a trellis or support of some sort.

Pat
--
Coming soon:  www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful