[Market-farming] Jicima

Ken Bezilla kenbez at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 22:40:44 EDT 2004

Marie --

Someone who tried growing jicama here once told me that it takes a long
growing season and will only get half the size it will as ones you see in
the store.

I've always wanted to try it -- I got as far as starting it in the
greenhouse -- but never got around to actually transplanting it out.

If you try it, I'd say to start it as a transplant, and put it out as early
as possible and use IRT mulch and reemay.

Note that the beans it grows are supposed to be toxic (it's a legume, and
you harvest the roots), so if you grow it, make sure the beans won't get
eaten by kids or animals

Ken Bezilla
East Wind
southern Missouri, zone 6b