[Market-farming] Re: Tomatoes after tomatoes?

tonitime at juno.com tonitime at juno.com
Mon Oct 11 13:34:31 EDT 2004

I know a farmer who grows MANY,MANY varieties for tomatoes in the same
spots year after year - for perhaps 30 years now, with no negative
effects.  I also know of some people who are now claiming that crop
rotation isn't a big thing after all these years of saying so.  I would
think this depends on whether you steward the soil or grow
conventionally.    Those of us who feed our soil a great diet can get
away with not moving everything each year.

I have planted a mix of rye and vetch where my tomatoes are the last four
seasons.  Sometimes it gets turned under and at times I simply cut it
down and then smother it with thick paper mulch covered with 3-6" of
spoiled hay, straw, or mowed grass.  No weeds, no problems.  My maters
are on raised, berm-type beds without siding.
Toni in KY