[Market-farming] Heated water items

mtlivestock crublee at libby.org
Mon Oct 11 10:24:57 EDT 2004

Just a note of caution here on those heated water containers. . . .

These items can cause fire.  I know one case in Kentucky where a stable of
highly-bred horses was burned down by a heated water bowl.  Several horses
were killed and the stable was completely burned down.

Water for kitties shouldn't cost your barn, home, livelihood, or life!

I personally like another list member's suggestion.  Use those heavy, farm
rubber pans and set it along your path to the barn, garage, or shop.  You
will notice when it is frozen over.  It is easy to dump and pop out ice.  I
have a few.  They last for years and can be used for feeding grain, nests,
or water.  They don't crack, leak, or fall apart.  They will break down a
bit after many years of bleaching or adding apple cider vinegar to the
water. Some of the fibers do begin to show.   But it is still minor damage
in all these years.  And that water pan is still working in the hen house.

Good luck and be safe!
Christina