[Market-farming] Tomatoes after tomatoes?

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Mon Oct 11 07:52:29 EDT 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:34:29 -0400, you wrote:

>>Do you turn the vetch in when you plant the tomatoes? I've heard that
>>tomatoes do well with "vetch mulch"...do you know if that is a living
>>mulch, or vetch that is mowed before planting tomatoes?
>
>Lynn - THe first time I saw this it was used under kale and had been
>'crimped' down with a weighted roller that had ribs that 'crimped'
>the knocked down rye. They rye stayed alive but could not 'stand up'
>again. It was a beauty to behold. I subsequently tried my own version
>of this (stepping on a 2x4 I held by both ends in a loop of rope as I
>hobbled down the bed)

This is basically how the 'mysterious' crop-circles (and
other figures) in England were made.

Two men just got the idea it would be fun to fool people and
they sure did:  lots of conferences were held about the crop
circles, articles written in magazines and newspapers about
them, even articles in scholarly journals, etc.  Lots of
people made fools of themselves, really - visitors from
space, etc.  Eventually, the culprits 'fessed up.

Pat
--
Coming soon:  www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful