[Market-farming] Tomatoes after tomatoes?

Lynn Wigglesworth lynnw at chilitech.net
Sun Oct 10 16:34:20 EDT 2004

At 07:40 AM 10/10/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear fellow farmers:
>
>I'm stressing right now on where to plant the rye/vetch for next
>year's tomato patch. I know I've heard that 'tomatoes love tomatoes'
>and that tomatoes are the one plant that does well in the same soil
>year after year. My tomato patch this year was in what is undoubtedly
>the best place to plant tomatoes. That's the biggest thing holding me
>to that spot.  I have no concerns about disease and probably even
>less concern about pests.
>
>What do you think about a tomato-tomato-tomato rotation?

Allan; I'm having exactly the same thoughts right now. I want to expand my
tomato bed, and the best way is to add to this year's bed, not move the
whole thing elsewhere. I first read about it in Elliot Coleman's New
Organic Grower (he doesn't do it, but discusses many people who swear by
it). I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep them in the same spot for a few
years and see how it goes.

Do you turn the vetch in when you plant the tomatoes? I've heard that
tomatoes do well with "vetch mulch"...do you know if that is a living
mulch, or vetch that is mowed before planting tomatoes?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA
Lynnw at chilitech.net