[Market-farming] Winter, water, outside cats

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Sat Oct 9 17:54:18 EDT 2004

Tom - we have about 30 outdoor cats and their water can freeze here in
Kansas fairly regularly.  We often use a large black rubber water tub that
we get at the farm store.  It absorbs the heat from the sun and the water
stays warmer on cold days - plus we keep it in a reflective position near
the house where it gets as many of the sun rays as possible.  If in fact it
does freeze I merely turn it over and step on it to remove the frozen water
and refill.  Sometimes I end up filling it twice in a day.  Also use shallow
ones for the chickens.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas