[Market-farming] Mulches

Wiediger, Alison awiediger at HART.k12.ky.us
Tue Nov 16 09:25:59 EST 2004

We have used Planter's Paper, a black paper mulch.  Its main problem in our
high tunnels is shrinkage - as much as 5-6 feet in 90 feet.  That can cover
plants and kill them.  Outdoors, with sides covered, it might not do that -
but I've heard that it's hard to lay - tears easily.  We used a new product
this year made from recycled paper out of NC.  It tore easily, even laying
by hand, was much heavier, a light gray in color, but didn't shrink nearly
as much.  Its main problem is its weight.  I'm not sure a mulch layer would
handle its bulk either - a roll is about 14-15" in diameter and cannot be
handled by one person.  Both break down very nicely - so much nicer than
trying to get plastic out of the field!

We did use photodegradable plastic once, years ago.  It did degrade, but
just into smaller pieces of plastic - and the plastic stays in your soil in
some form, literally forever.   It may have been improved in the interim.

I wish they'd get the paper "right".  Perhaps they will eventually.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm